- Durations: 4 years (2019-2023)
- Funded by SIDA
- Partners: Federal Government of Somalia (FSG); Puntland State Agency for Water Energy and Natural Resources (PSAWEN); NADFOR National Disaster Reserve Preparedness and Food Reserve Authority (NADFOR); Development Action Network (DAN) in Galmudug and Ministry of Water in all the states.
A considerable population in Somalia is still underserved in the delivery of water and sanitation services. This program focuses on ensuring increased availability and access to safe water for the underserved including socially excluded population groups in rural, peri-urban and urban areas, as well as delivering viable sewerage/sanitation services and hygiene promotion. The program will build on best practices, application of appropriate technologies and innovative market driven approaches and put them to scale to facilitate the achievement of the program goal within the country.
Improved health and environmental conditions due to sustained access to WASH services contributing to reduced poverty and improved economic status of Somali people
The program focuses on underserved areas, targeting the socially excluded and vulnerable communities in rural, peri-urban and or urban slum settings. Approximately 350,000 will be reached through this program.
The project will be implemented in Puntland (Bari and Mudug); Galmudug (Galgaduud, Dhusamareb, Galinsor and Adado districts); South West State (Bay district in Baidoa, Bardaale and Dinsor district); Hir-Shabelle (Beletweyne and Mahas district); Jubbaland (Lower Jubba region in Kismayo and Afmadow districts), Banadir (Mogadishu); Somaliland (Awdal -in Zeylac, Lughaya and Baki districts; Sool).
- Outcome 1: Strengthened enabling environment and governance structure supporting delivery of appropriate, equitable and affordable WASH services.
- Outcome 2: Increased access to sustained, equitable and affordable safe water through well managed water supply systems in rural, peri-urban areas and urban centres
- Outcome 3: Increased access to improved, adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene services in rural, peri-urban and urban areas
- Outcome 4: Improved economic performance of local livelihoods reliant on improved access to WASH services
- Strengthening of WASH Sector Governance;
- Promoting Climate Resilience and Water Management;
- Advocating and Upholding Human Rights;
- Addressing Consumer Rights;
- Encouraging Gender Sensitivity;
- Ensuring Conflict Sensitivity in Program Management;
- Ensuring Good Water Quality and Laboratory Testing;
- Promoting Hygiene Education;
- Strengthening and Supporting the Somalia NGO Consortium (SNC) to Promote Resilience in WASH-Based Programming.